Prison and Castlefrom the Huntingdon Road.
London, Puv. Oct. 1 1814 at 101 Strand for Ackermann's History of Cambridge
Aquatint with hand-colouring, platemark 255 x 300mm (10 x 11¾"). Creases; weak impression.
View along what is now Castle Street, Cambridge, with a view of Castle Mound, the ruined castle (a site now occupied by the Grade-II listed Castle Inn), and the octagonal prison (left). Constructed according to Jeremy Betham's principle of the 'panopticon' whereby inmates could be surveilled from a central vantage point, the prison was built between 1802 and 1807. It was used until 1915, and demolished in 1928-9. The site is now occupied by the Shire Hall (which reused bricks from the prison in its walls). For Ackermann's 'History of Cambridge'.
Abbey Scenery 79.
[Ref: 36199] £45.00