William CurtisAuthor of the Flora Londinensis / Botanical Magazine &c.
Stipple printed in blue, sheet 150 x 110mm (6 x 4½"). Trimmed to image; false margins added.
Sir William Curtis (1746-99), botanist and entomologist. Curtis established a botanical garden in Bermondsey in 1773, then the more expansive London Botanic Garden at Lambeth in 1779. To escape smoke pollution, in 1789 he moved to a still larger garden in Brompton (now occupied by Cadogan Place South Garden on Sloane Street). He also published numerous works on botany and entomology including the Flora Londinensis (begun in 1775) which established his reputation.
For Curtis' Brompton garden see ref. 18206; for his Lambeth garden see ref. 15502.
[Ref: 35842] £95.00