View's of London. No. 2.Entrance of St Georges Road or the Obelisk Turnpike with a view of the Royal Circus.
Publish'd Aug.st 1. 1809. by R. Ackermann 101. Strand.
Fine hand coloured aquatint. On watermarked paper, 'J. Whatman'. Two collector's stamps in lower left corner. Platemark: 360 x 450mm (14¼ x 17¾"). Small margins on 3 sides. Cut to plate at top.
A view looking past the obelisk in St George's Circus to the toll gates on Great Surrey Street (Blackfriars Road). Dagaty has also included detail of the street traffic, including a coach, cart and horse riders. The 'Royal Circus and Equestrian Philharmonic Academy' opened in 1782, specialising in equestrian displays. Two years after this print it burned down, and again in 1805, after which it was rebuilt as the Surrey Theatre. This plate was the second in a set of six plates in a 'Views of London' series, showing the main entrances into London, all marshalled by turnpikes, first published in 1797. However after this plate Dagaty was replaced by Thomas Rowlandson. It is uncertain who Dagaty was, although he was possibly Edouard Gautier d'Agoty.
[Ref: 35192] £650.00