Skeleton of the Irish Elk. From near Waterford.Presented to the Yorkshire Museum by G. L. Fox Esq.r 1836.
Lithograph, very rare. Wax signet stamps in lower corners. Sheet size: 250 x 205mm (9¾ x 8"). Light creases. Album paper glued to corners on verso where previously mounted.
A depiction of the skeleton of an Irish Elk, a species of megaloceros or 'giant deer' which became extinct during the last ice-age. Though the megaloceros is in fact a 'giant deer' the name 'Irish Elk' was given due to the enormous quantity of specimens discovered in the peat bogs of Ireland. The Natural History Museum in Dublin currently houses three skeletons aquired in 1824, 1867 and 1877. This particular specimin was donated to the Yorkshire Museum by G.L. Fox in 1836, and is currently on display in the Leeds City Museum. For alternative impression of the study of an Irish Elk, please see item ref: 33924.
[Ref: 35102] £260.00