London, Published June 2, 1828, by Mr. Turner, 50 Warren Street, Fitzroy Square.
Mezzotint with very large margins. Proof before title. Platemark: 505 x 350mm (19¾ x 13¾").
A portrait of judge and jurist William Scott, 1st Baron Stowell (1745 - 1836), seated in an armchair, wearing a long wig, and a judge's ornate gown, with a lace tie and ruffles. Scott was educated at Newcastle Royal Grammar School and Corpus Christi College at Oxford University, where he gained a Durham scholarship in 1761. He graduated as doctor of civil law and commenced practice in the ecclesiastical courts. His professional success was rapid. In 1783 he became registrar of the court of faculties, and in 1788 judge of the consistory court and advocate-general, in that year too receiving the honor of knighthood. Upon the coronation of George IV in 1821 he was raised to the peerage as Baron Stowell, of Stowell Park in the County of Gloucester, taking his title from the name of his estate. After a life of judicial service Lord Stowell retired from the bench, from the consistory court in August 1821, and from the high court of admiralty in December 1827.
Ex Collection: The Honourable Christopher Lennox-Boyd. W: 545.
[Ref: 35064] £320.00