Interior of the Mosque of the Metwalys.
London, Published F. G. Moon, 20 Threadneedle Street, July 2nd, 1849.
Tinted lithograph. Printed area 530 x 350mm (20¾ x 13¾"). Slight mount stain.
The Mosque of Sultan Al-Muayyad, a musician and poet, built 1412-21. The 'Madrasa-Khanka' [monastery] of this religious complex was dedicated to Sufis only. The 'Dikka' of decorated wood and ivory, the slender marble columns and the gilded ceilings give a hypostyle plan to the congregational Mosque. The name Roberts gives, 'Metwalyes', refers to the nearby gate 'Bawabbat al-Mitwali', better known as Bab Zuwailah.
[Ref: 34900] £950.00