Smedmore House, in Dorsetshire, The Seat of Col. Mansel, C.B.
Engraving. Plate 260 x 380mm (10¼ x 15").
Smedmore House, the country house near Kimmeridge, Dorset, looking out into the bay. It was originally built by Sir William Clavell around 1620, partially rebuilt by Edward Clavell c.1700, and greatly augmented by George Clavell c.1760. After the death of John Clavell-Richards, rector of Church Knowle, the court invalidated his alleged will, and a deal was struck between his surviving heirs-in-law, ensuring that Smedmore remained in the family, under the new ownership of his niece and her husband, Lieutenant Colonel John Mansel (1776-1863). Smedmore has remained in the Mansel family ever since; current owner, the historian Philip Mansel.
[Ref: 34736] £95.00