Cheltenham Proprietary College.
Published by R. Edwards, Stationer, Bookseller, Binder &c. 414, High Street, Cheltenham. [n.d. c.1860.]
Engraving. 172 x 209mm (6¾ x 8¼"). Laid on album sheet.
In 1840 a meeting was held of Cheltenham residents who decided to set up a 'Proprietary Grammar School'. G.S. Harcourt and J.S. Iredell, founded the Cheltenham College in 1841 to educate the sons of gentleman. Within two years it was relocated to the site seen here, and soon became known simply as Cheltenham College.
[Ref: 34734] £65.00