Beaudesert, Staffordshire, Marquis of Anglesey.
Published by J. Taylor, Feb 1. 1816.
Coloured aquatint with overlay, very rare. 230 x 320mm (9 x 11½). Trimmed into plate at sides.
Beaudesert, a stately home on the southern edge of Cannock Chase in Staffordshire, one of the family seats of the Paget family until the 1930s when financial difficulties forced a sale. Many of the furnishings, including oak panelling and the Waterloo Staircase, were exported to Carrick Hill in Adelaide, South Australia; when the buildings were demolished some of the bricks were used to re-face St James's Palace. Published in Humphry Repton's 'Fragments on the theory and practice of Landscape Gardening', the plate has a hinged overlay: when the slip is down the view is of farm buildings under a wooded hill, with a stream; lifting the slip reveals the mansion on the hill, a reservoir, cascades and terraced gardens. Repton (1752-1818) was the last great English landscape designer of the C18th, who coined the term 'landscape gardener'. Regarded as the successor to Capability Brown, he worked at Blaise Castle, Woburn Abbey, Stoneleigh Abbey & the central gardens in Russell Square, but lost out on the Prince Regent's Brighton Pavilion to John Nash (although he published his designs).
Abbey: Scenery 391. See 34862 for no overlay.
[Ref: 34183] £280.00