London Pub. Octr. 1st. 1809, at R. Ackermann’s Repository of Arts 101 Strand.
Hand coloured aquatint with large margins. Platemark: 240 x 285mm (9½ x 11¼").
Interior view of a meeting at Trinity House. The Corporation of Trinity House came into being in 1514 by Royal Charter granted by Henry VIII. Trinity House has three main functions; The care of all lighthouses in England, Wales, the Channel Islands and Gibraltar. Providing aids to navigation, e.g. lightvessels, lighthouses, buoys, radio navigation services etc. Serving as a charitable organisation for mariners; looking after their safety, welfare, training etc. The Masters of the Corporation of Trinity House have included the diarist Samuel Pepys and the Duke of Wellington, and Admiral William Penn (father of William Penn, founder of Pennsylvania). Published in Ackermann's famous work, the 'Microcosm of London', the figures were drawn by the famous caricaturist Thomas Rowlandson and the architecture by Augustus Pugin.
Abbey, Scenery: 212.
[Ref: 34162] £140.00