The College of Physicians.
London. Pub May 1, 1808 at R. Ackermann’s Repository of Arts 101, Strand.
Hand coloured aquatint with large margins. Platemark: 240 x 285mm (9½ x 11¼").
An interior view of the College of Physicians, London, depicting a college meeting with a number of figures in discussion seated at a long table in the centre of the room. Originally founded as the College of Physicians it received a royal charter in 1518 from King Henry VIII, affirmed by Act of Parliament in 1523. A small group of distinguished physicians, led by the scholar and humanist Thomas Linacre, petitioned the King to be incorporated into a College similar to those found in a number of other European countries. The main functions of the College, as set down in the founding Charter, were to grant licenses to those qualified to practice and to punish unqualified practitioners and those engaging in malpractice. This included apothecaries as well as physicians.It was the first medical institution in England to become a Royal College, and the first Royal College in the UK and Ireland for physicians. Published in Ackermann's famous work, the 'Microcosm of London', the figures were drawn by the famous caricaturist Thomas Rowlandson and the architecture by Augustus Pugin.
Abbey, Scenery: 212.
[Ref: 34079] £230.00