London. Pub May 1, 1808 at R. Ackermann’s Repository of Arts 101, Strand.
Hand coloured aquatint with large margins. Platemark: 240 x 285mm (9½ x 11¼").
An interior view of the Coal Exchange, Thames Street, London. A coal exchange was established in 1770 near the site of Smart's Quay and close to Billingsgate Market. The market was established by the main coal merchants as a private body to regulate the trade of coal in the capital, and was controlled by a private coal merchant until the old Coal Exchange was bought by the Corporation of London in 1807. A new building had been built in 1805, with a recessed classical portico supported by small Doric pillars and triangular pediment above, as seen in the centre of the image. Under the control of the City Corporation, the Coal Exchange became a free and open market, regulated by various Acts of Parliament. Published in Ackermann's famous work, the 'Microcosm of London', the figures were drawn by the famous caricaturist Thomas Rowlandson and the architecture by Augustus Pugin.
Abbey, Scenery: 212.
[Ref: 34077] £140.00