[St Helena] Tomb of Buonaparte as Compleated in June, 1821.
[London: Colnaghi & Co, 1822.]
Coloured aquatint. Sheet 255 x 360mm (10 x 14¼"). Trimmed within plate.
Napoleon's first grave, where he was interred after his death on the 5th May 1821, in a plot four miles uphill from James Town. In the background is the peak of Flag Staff Hill. In the far left is a well from which Napoleon was supplied with fresh water; a Chinese servant collected two silver ewers of water every day to take to Longwood. The artist, John Kerr, was paymaster to the 66th Regiment, which had garrison duty guarding Napoleon on St Helena from 1816.
Abbey: Travel 316.3.
[Ref: 33823] £230.00