[The Royal George Yacht.]To His Royal Highness Prince Albert, K.G. &c. &c. This Engraving representing the Royal George Yacht Conveying Her Majesty and Royal Consort to Edinburgh, August, 1842. Off the Bass Rock, at the Time the Squadron was joined by the General Steam Navigation Company's Steam Ships Trident and Monarch, each of 1000 Tons, is with permission humbly dedicated by His Royal Highness' most obedient Servant, W.J. Huggins.
London. Published February 1st 1843, by M.r Huggins, 105, Leadenhall Street.
Aquatint, printed in colours and hand finished. Sheet 480 x 660mm (19 x 26"). A few repairs.
Queen Victoria and Albert aboard the Royal George Yacht in the Firth of Forth, on one of its last voyages as the Royal Yacht. Other ships shown are the 'Trinity Yacht', 'Monarch', 'Shear-Water', 'Black Eagle' and 'Trident', as well as two cutters full of sight-seers. To the right is the Bass Rock, Tantallon Castle to the left. Launched in 1817 the 'Royal George' was replaced in 1843 by a paddle steamer, the 'Victoria and Albert'. This was Victoria's first visit to Scotland, five years after becoming monarch. She had been fascinated by the novels of Sir Walter Scott and her interest in Scotland increased with this trip. She bought Balmoral in 1852.
[Ref: 33725] £680.00