The Audubon Estate on the Banks of the Hudson. Foot of 156th Street at Carmansville.
For D. T. Valentine's Manual, 1865.
Chromolithograph. Printed area 155 x 210mm (6¼ x 8¼"). Binding folds flattened as normal.
A view of the main house of Minniesland, the estate that John James Audubon built in 1842 in Manhattan, paid for by subscription sales of Audubon's octavo edition of The Birds of America. The name derives from a Scottish endearment for mother that Audubon's sons, Victor Gifford and John Woodhouse, learned during their stay in Scotland in the 1830s. In the background is the Hudson River and the Hudson River Railroad. Audubon's died there in 1851, as did his sons in their homes on the estate, Victor in 1860 and John Woodhouse in 1862. Audubon's widow Lucy had to sell Minniesland to pay off debts in 1863 and the building was torn down in 1931, to be replaced by 765 Riverside Drive. From Valentine' a 'Manual of the Council of the City of New York', showing two Baseball players.
[Ref: 33715] £95.00