A View of the antient Winter Palace belonging to her Imperial Majesty, and of the Canal which Joins the Moika to the Neva, at S.t. Petersburg. Vüe de l'ancien Palais d'hiver de sa Majesté Imperiale, et du Canal qui Joint la Moika avec la Neva, a St. Petersberg.
Etching. Plate: 410 x 270mm (16 x 10½"). Laid on board. Some damage to lower edge. General rubbing to sheet.
A 'Vue d'Optique' designed specifically to be looked at through an 'optical diagonal machine', or zograscope, which created the illusion of depth. The Winter Palace served as the principal residence of the Russian monarchy from 1732 to 1917, situated on the bank of the River Neva, its huge size and oppulence reflected the might and wealth of the Russian royal family. The Winter Palace now houses the Hermitage Museum, the collection of which was founded in 1764 by Catherine the Great.
[Ref: 33614] £320.00