Published Feb.y 1806 by J. C & G Lewis, No.4 Salisbury Street, Strand, London.
Aquatint and etching with very large margins. Platemark: 215 x 320mm (8½ x 12½").
An attractive landscape view in Brecon, mid Wales, with a shepherd reclining by a river in the right foreground and some cattle and trees in the middleground. In the distance is a large building, most probably the Castle of Brecknock, built by the half-brother of William the Conqueror, within 25 years of the Norman Conquest. The ruin features the earliest style of Norman architecture and was later enlarged by the de Braose family, Norman overlords who succeeded Bernard de Neufmarche and ruled the Welsh for nearly a century.
[Ref: 33561] £160.00