The late Mr. Garrick's Villa.
Pub. June 1, 1793, by J. & J. Boydell, Shakespeare Gallery, Pall Mall, & No. 90, Cheapside.
Fine hand coloured aquatint with very large margins. Printed area: 215 x 320mm (8½ x 12½"). Slight staining in margin.
Plate 45 from Joseph Farington's (1747 – 1821) 'History of the River Thames', 1794, a two-volume publication including 76 aquatints. A view of Hampton House on the River Thames. Two figures can be seen in front of a temple to the left, with the house to the right, and the river in the foreground. The house was initially listed as Hampton House prior to its acquisition by the hugely influential actor and playwright, David Garrick (1717 - 1779), in 1754. Numerous alterations were made to the villa during Garrick's tenure by the famous architect Robert Adam.
[Ref: 33479] £220.00