[Karlskirche, Vienna]Prospect Der NeŘen Kirchen S. Caroli Borromoei [...]
Cum Privil: Sacr: Caesar Majest. [Leipzig, 1725]
Engraving with very large margins, platemark 300 x 430mm (11ż x 17"). Text in French and German; foxing to edges.
The baroque Karlskirche (St. Charles Church) in Vienna, commissioned by Emperor Charles VI in 1713, following a plague epidemic in Vienna. It was dedicated to 16th cerntury reformer Carlo Borromeo, who was known for healing plague sufferers. The church was designed by Johann Bernard Fischer von Erlach and completed, after Fischer's death, by his son. Plate from Fischer's 'Entwurf einer historischen Architektur' ('Outline of Historical Architecture', first published 1721) , the first comparative architecture of all periods and nations.
[Ref: 33400] £450.00