[Imperial Stables, Vienna]Prospect Des Gross Neuen Kaisl. Stalls vor 600 Pferde [...]
Cum Privil: Sacr: Caesar Majest. [Leipzig, 1725]
Engraving with very large margins, platemark 300 x 430mm (11¾ x 17"). Text in French and German; foxing to top of image.
The Imperial Stables in Vienna, designed by Austrian architect Johann Bernard Fischer von Erlach and inspired by the Emperor Nero's 'Domus Aurea'. The building included stables for six hundred horses, room for two hundred state coaches, and an amphitheatre for public displays, and a horse pond. The stables were severely damaged during the French Occupation of Vienna in the Napoleonic Wars, after which they were renovated and expanded. After the stables became redundant in the twentieth century, the site was used for trade fairs before recently becoming 'MuseumsQuartier Wien', an arts centre including several museums, galleries and other cultural institutions. In the background are the Vienna districts of Laimgrube and St. Ulrich Plate from Fischer's 'Entwurf einer historischen Architektur' ('Outline of Historical Architecture', first published 1721) , the first comparative architecture of all periods and nations.
for Nero's Domus Aurea, see ref.33418
[Ref: 33399] £480.00