Prospect des Neuen Lust-gebaüdes bei ner Hoch Fürze Knaden zu Salzburg, Clesheimb [...]
Cum Privil: Sacr: Caesar Majest. [Leipzig, 1725]
Engraving with very large margins, platemark 300 x 430mm (11¾ x 17"). Text in French and German; slight foxing to margins.
Schloß Klessheim, a baroque palace near Salzburg designed by Austrian architect Johann Bernard Fischer von Erlach in 1700 for Prince-Archbishop Johann Ernest von Thun. It was originally named 'Lustschloss Favorita', a title mentioned on the text beneath the image. The palace became summer residence for the Archbishops of Salzburg, but was not completed until 1732 (after this print was made), by which time the original design had been scaled down. The twin structures in the foreground of this print appear never to have been built. Since 1993 the palace has been the Salzburg Casino. Plate from Fischer's 'Entwurf einer historischen Architektur' ('Outline of Historical Architecture', first published 1721), the first comparative architecture of all periods and nations.
[Ref: 33398] £480.00