[View of the Prophet's Mosque, near Medina]Prospect der Mosquéen wo das Grab des Mahomets zulehen ist, bei der Stadt Medina [...]
Engraving with very large margins, scarce; platemark 300 x 430mm (11¾ x 17"). Text in French and German; foxing around edges.
The Al-Masjid al-Nabawi, the mosque in Medina which houses the remains of the Prophet Muhammad and is the second holiest site in Islam. . The mosque was built by Muhammad and his companions from 622 CE, and was enlarged several times. This early print shows the mosque before extensive additions in the 19th century. Numerous locations are identified by a key (included). Plate from the 'Entwurf einer historischen Architektur' ('Outline of Historical Architecture', first published 1721) by Austrian architect Johann Bernard Fischer von Erlach, the first comparative architecture of all periods and nations. According to the text below, the view was engraved from a drawing by 'an Arab engineer' then in Vienna.
[Ref: 33394] £950.00