Pavie. Facade de la Chartreause. [/] Pavia. Facciata della Certosa.
Imp Lemercier. Paris. Paris, Bulla Editeur, Rue Tiquetonne, 18. [n.d., c.1850].
Tinted lithograph. Sheet size: 290 x 380mm (11½ x15").
A highly detailed view of the Certosa di Pavia, a monastery and complex in Lombardy, northern Italy, situated near a small town of the same name in the Province of Pavia. Certosa is the Italian name for a house of the cloistered monastic order of Carthusians founded by St. Bruno in 1044 at Grande Chartreuse. Though the Carthusians in their early centuries were known for their seclusion and asceticism and the plainness of their architecture, the Certosa is renowned for the exuberance of its architecture, in both the Gothic and Renaissance styles, and for its collection of artworks which are particularly representative of the region. After Philipe Benoist (1813-1880), with titles in French and Italian.
[Ref: 33323] £220.00