Imp par Lemercier a Paris. Paris. Bulla éditeur, 18 rue Tiquetonne et Bulla st Delarue, 10 rue, JJ Rousseau. [n.d., c.1850].
Tinted lithograph. Sheet size: 290 x 380mm (11½ x15").
A detailed view of the front and side facades of the Siena Cathedral, a medieval church in Siena, Tuscany. The cathedral itself was originally designed and completed between 1215 and 1263 on the site of an earlier structure by Giovanni Pisano, who was able to oversee his work until about 1296 when he abruptly left Siena, reportedly over creative differences with the Opera del Duomo, the group that oversaw the construction and maintenance of the Siena cathedrals. The church has the form of a Latin cross with a slightly projecting transept, a dome and a bell tower. The areas around and above the doors, as well as the columns between the portals, are richly decorated with acanthus scrolls, allegorical figures and biblical scenes, which can be seen in the centre. After Philipe Benoist (1813-1880), with titles in French and Italian.
[Ref: 33319] £240.00