Luques. Saint Michel. [/] Lucca. San Michele.
Imp par Lemercier. Paris. Bulla éditeur, 18 rue Tiquetonne et Bulla st Delarue, 10 rue, JJ Rousseau. [n.d., c.1850].
Tinted lithograph. Sheet size: 290 x 380mm (11½ x15"). Small wormhole in left margin.
A highly detailed view of the front of the San Michele Roman Catholic basilica church in Lucca, Tuscany, central Italy, built over the ancient Roman forum. Until 1370 it was the seat of the Consiglio Maggiore (Major Council), the commune's most important assembly. It is dedicated to the Archangel Michael, and at the summit, flanked by two other angels, is a 4m tall statue of St. Michael. In addition, on the lower right corner of the façade is a statue (1480) of the Madonna salutis portus, sculpted by Matteo Civitali to celebrate the end of the 1476 plague. After Philipe Benoist (1813-1880), with titles in French and Italian.
[Ref: 33317] £220.00