The Reverend John Prince.Subs.r Proof.
Published Feb.y 1st 1817, by W. Skelton, 1 Stafford Place, Pimlico.
Engraving, subscriber's proof on india, very large margins. 335 x 395mm (13¼ x 15¾").
John Prince (1753-1833), chaplain of the Magdalen Hospital and vicar of Enford, Wiltshire. Established in 1758 in St George's Fields, Magdalen Hospital was a charity organization for the rehabilitation of 'fallen women', originally prostitutes but later expanded to include 'soiled' women. The institution spread world-wide, but the original altruism changed, becoming more punitive: by the 20th century Ireland's 'Magdalen Laundries' were renowned for the brutality of the regime.
[Ref: 33121] £140.00