Funchal, from the Chapel of Santa Catharina.
Printed by Engelman, Graf, Coindet & Co. 92 Dean St. [n.d., c.1850].
Hand-coloured lithograph. Sheet size: 247 x 325mm (9¾ x 12¾").
A view of the Portugese city of Funchal, the largest city and capital of Portugal's Autonomous Region of Madeira. A number of figures in traditional costume can be seen around the chapel, with the city in the background and mountains in the distance. The chapel was originally built solely out of wood but was later rebuilt in stone. The wife of one of the island´s discoverers (João Gonçalves Zarco), Lady Constance, ordered the construction of this chapel back in 1425.
Not in Abbey.
[Ref: 32138] £360.00