North view of the cedar trees in the Gardens of the Apothecary's Company, Chelsea, London.Dedicated by Permission to the R.t Hon.ble the Earl Cadogan.
Published by G. F. Fuge, 13, Sloane Square. [n.d., c.1860].
Lithograph. Printed area: 395 x 580mm (15½ x 22¾").
The Chelsea Physic Garden was founded in 1673, as the Apothecaries’ Garden, with the purpose of training apprentices in identifying plants. In 1713 Dr. Hans Sloane, after whom the nearby locations of Sloane Square and Sloane Street were named, purchased the Manor of Chelsea and its estate and leased the Physic Garden to the Society of Apothecaries for £5 a year in perpetuity. In 1876 the Garden enlarged its educational aspirations by deciding to run a lecture course for young women who were training as botany teachers. At the end of the 19th century the trustees of the City Parochial Foundation agreed to take over the running of the Garden from the Society of Apothecaries. In 1983 The Garden became a registered charity and open to the general public for the first time.
[Ref: 31814] £490.00