Veduta della Chiesa di S. Pietri di Roma dalla parte di Ponte Molle.
[George Hackert. n.d., c.1776].
Engraving on watermarked paper with very large margins. Platemark: 580 x 420mm. (22¾ x 16½"). Uncut. Small tear to lower edge of sheet. Water stains in both right and left margins. Some light foxing to sheet. Pin hole in printed area.
A Roman landscape with the view of St Peter's in the distance. A woman riding on a donkey, a shepherd and shepherdess can be seen in the foreground to right, with a barge on the river to the left. Inscribed below is a dedication to Pope Pius VI, with his crest in the centre. Designed principally by Donato Bramante, Michelangelo, Carlo Maderno and Gian Lorenzo Bernini, St. Peter's is the most renowned work of Renaissance architecture and remains one of the largest churches in the world. After Philipp Hackert (1737 - 1807), painter and etcher. Born in Prenzlau north of Berlin, he came to Italy in 1768, settling first in Rome and (from 1787) Naples.
[Ref: 31561] £720.00