A Perspective View of the Poor House of Edinburgh as it now Stands unfinished.
Engraving, paper watermarked. Plate 210 x 330mm (8¼ x 13").
The Edinburgh Charity Poorhouse in Port Bristo was built in 1739-1743 by Samuel Neilson, mason, and William McVey and James Heriot. It was financed by voluntary subscriptions. Funds for its operation were raised by a variety of means such as a tax on the valued rents of the city, collections at church doors, charitable donations and other contributions including and annual benefit play at one of the city’s theatres. It was a substantial establishment that, in 1777-8, could accommodate 484 adults and 180 children.
[Ref: 30776] £120.00