Transverse Section through a Range of Cells Erected at the Female Factory, Parramata. Drawn to accompany Maj.r Barney's letter to the Hon.ble the Colonel Secretary, dated 20.th February 1840. Geo. Barney Maj.r R.E. Cor.sFemale Factory, Parramatta. Range of Solitary Cells Erected at the Female Factory at Parramatta. Accompanying Plans and Estimates of Buildings, proposed by Capt.n Maconochie, R.N. H.H. Lugard, Lt. R.E.
Ordered by The House of Commons to be Printed 15 June 1841.
Lithograph. 482 x 750mm (19 x 29½"). Creased and folded. Tear near title.
The Parramatta Female Factory, opened in 1796, was an Australian workhouse for female convicts in the penal colony of New South Wales. The factory operated as a place of confinement for delinquents and a house of industry for female convincts until 1847 when it was used as a mental asylum.
[Ref: 30336] £180.00