Veduta dell'Atrio del Portico di Ottavia.
Presso l'Autore a Strada Felice vicino alla Trinità de' monti. A paoli due e mezzo.
Etching. 400 x 600mm (15¾ x 23½"), watermarked with Hind's 'c' design. Wide margins partly folded back. Creasing as normal
The Porticus Octaviae (Portico of Octavia), built by Augustus in memory of his sister, Octavia Minor, sometime after 27 BC. The front archway was built c. 442 AD after an earthquake destroyed two of the columns of the original portico. During medieval times the building was used as a fish market and was at the centre of the Roman Ghetto, a walled district, closed at night, where all Rome's jews had to live. The Ghetto was created by Paul IV's papal bull in 1555, which was only repealed with the Risorgimento in 1870. The building to the right is the church of Sant'Angelo in Pescheria (Saint Angelo in the Fish Market), which gave its name to the 'rione' (district) of Sant'Angelo.
Hind. 58, state iv of viii, lifetime edition.
[Ref: 30307] £1,100.00