Dutch Fort of Amsterdam at Kormentin from Barbot. Fort Royal at Mansro from Barbot.
[London: Thomas Astley, 1745.]
Engraving with large margins. 150 x 215mm (6 x 8½"). Repaired tear in margin.
Two views of European forts in Ghana. Fort Amsterdam was built by the English c.1640 but was captured by Admiral Engel de Ruyter of the Dutch West India Company in 1665. As part of the Dutch Gold Coast the fort stayed under Dutch control until it was traded with the British in 1868. Fort Royal was built by the Danes in 1661 as Fort Frederiksborg, but sold it to the English in 1685, preferring Christiansborg Castle. The English rebuilt the fort in 1699, renaming it Fort Royal, but abandoned it soon after. From John Green's 'A new general collection of voyages and travels; consisting of the most esteemed relations, which have been hitherto published in any language; comprehending everything remarkable in its kind, in Europe, Asia, Africa, and America'.
[Ref: 30236] £70.00