New Pump Room, Bristol, Hotwells.
Bristol Pub.d by T. Bedford, High Street. [n.d. c.1840.]
Lithograph on india. Sheet 263 x 369mm (10¼ x 14½"). Scarce.
Hotwells takes its name from the hot springs which bubble up through the rocks of Avon Gorge. In 1692 the Society of Merchant Venturers leased the springs and a pump room was built. The pump room of 1696 was demolished and replaced by Hotewells House in 1816. In 1822 a new pump room was built, as seen here, but that too was eventually demolished in 1867 to allow for the widening of the River Avon.
[Ref: 30038] £180.00