A view of Grange in Borrowdale.
London, Published for the Proprietor Sept. 20th 1813 and Sold by T. Macdonald 39 Fleet Street.
Coloured aquatint, very rare with large margins, J. Whatman watermark; platemark: 430 x 600mm (17 x 23˝").
A view of the double-arched bridge which stretches across the River Derwent, Borrowdale, Cumbria. The bridge was built 1675 but the hamlet’s origins are much earlier; in medieval times the monks of Furness Abbey, owned of this particular part of the valley, which lies between Grange Fell and Castle Crag. A fine view of the lakes and a wonderful example of a large coloured aquatint.
[Ref: 29856] £520.00