Engraving, fine with very large margins. 185 x 135mm (7¼ x 5¼").
Balthasar Moretus (1574-1641) of Antwerp, who became head of the Officina Plantiniana in 1610. This firm of printers, established by his grandfather Christophe Plantin in 1555, continued publishing until 1866, after which it became a museum dedicated to the firm owned by the City of Antwerp. Their most famous publication was Ortelius's atlas, the 'Theatrum Orbis Terrarum', first published 1570, last edition 1624. Balthasar commissioned Peter Paul Rubens (who also worked for the firm producing designs to be engraved) to paint portraits for publication: this engraving appears to be copied from the oil painted by Rubens that still hangs in the Plantin-Moretus Museum.
[Ref: 29778] £220.00