The Gold Temple of the principle Idol Guadma, taken from its front being the Eastern face of the Great Dagon Pagoda at Rangoon.No.7.
Published Octr 1, 1825, by Kingsbury & Co. Leadenhall Strt._& T. Clay, 18, Ludgate Hill, London.
Hand coloured aquatint with small margins, proof, printed on J. Whatman Turkish Mill watermarked paper. Platemark: 460 x 330mm (18 x 13"). Repaired tears.
The Shwedagon Pagoda, also known as the Golden Pagoda, is a 320 feet high gilded stupa, or Buddhist shrine, in Rangoon (Yangon), Burma. The pagoda lies to the west of Kandawgyi Lake, on Singuttara Hill, thus dominating the skyline of the city. It is the most sacred Buddhist pagoda for the Burmese, with relics of the past four Buddhas enshrined inside the structure. From Series 1 of 'Views taken at or near Rangoon, and Combined operations in the Birman Empire', by Lieutenant Joseph Moore, published in two series 1825-26. It illustrated the British campaign during the First Anglo-Burmese War (5 March 1824 - 24 February 1826).
Abbey Travel: 404, 7.
[Ref: 29695] £320.00