The South East Prospect of the Abby of Waltham Holy Cross, in the County of Essex.It was Founded by King Harold Anno 1065, who endowed it with large Revenues, for a Dean & Eleven Secular Black Canons, & dedicated it to the honour of a Holy Cross (from whence the Town has derived that addition to its Name) which according to a Monkish Tradition, was found far Westward form this place & brought hither, and was look’d upon in those superstitious Times as a great Miracle. [66 in ink]
Sold by J. Boydell Engraver in Cheapside, 1763.
Engraving, Plate 291 x 350mm (11½ x 13¾"), large margins with watermark.
View of Waltham Abbey, from the path leading up to it; a large tree in left foreground, a man at the well to the right of the path, where a couple stroll towards the abbey; village houses in background.
[Ref: 29393] £200.00