A View of Chelsea Water Works.No.5.
Publish'd according to Act of Parliament by J. Boydell at the Unicorn the corner of Queen Street Cheapside. London 1752. Price. 1s.
Engraving, paper watermarked with very large margins. Plate 260 x 425mm (10¼ x 16¾").
View of the buildings at Chelsea, next to the Thames; a man on a raft in foreground, other figures by riverbank. The Chelsea Waterworks Company was formed in 1723 (where the Churchill Gardens estate, Pimlico now stands), and supplied water to Westminster and adjacent parts. It introduced the first iron main in London in 1746. The company held water in reservoirs in Hyde Park and Green Park and pumped water through an elaborate sysstems of canals which covered a large area of today's Pimlico. As the years marched by the water was becoming more and more contaminated and the Company installed the first Sand filtration operation to purify the water. Eventurally in the late nineteenth century the company became part of the Metropolitan Water Board. From "A Collection of One Hundred Views In England and Wales". John Boydell's 'Collection of Views' was made after he turned from engraver to print publisher in 1767. The first collection was issued in 1770, and included some plates by printmakers other than himself.
Adams (London): 47.5; the location of the water works is shown in Rocque's map of Chelsea, ref. 18215
[Ref: 29298] £300.00