The South West Prospect of his Grace ye Duke of Marlborough's House in St. James Park.
Printed and Sold by J. Smith in Exeter Changes in ye Strand. [n.d., c.1715].
Etching. Platemark: 475 x 580mm. [18¼ x 22¾"]. Unexamined out of frame.
View of John Churchill (1650-1722), 1st Duke of Marlborough's house, east of St James's Palace on the Mall, St. James' Park. A few elegantly dressed figures can be seen on the paths in the foreground, along with a coach and horses. Four empty niches are present on the building, two on either side of the main entrance. The well preserved gardens and tree lined paths are displayed at the front of the house. The house was designed by Sir Christopher Wren (1632-1723) and built for Sarah Churchill (1660-1744) who became the Duchess of Marlborough in 1711. Today it houses the Commonwealth Secretariat. Engraved by John Harris (1686 - 1739) after James Lightbody.
[Ref: 29076] £450.00