Foundling Hospital, The Chapel.No.37.
London. Pub 1.st Oct.r, 1808 at R. Ackermannís Repository of Arts 101, Strand.
Coloured aquatint. Plate 229 x 280mm (9 x 11").
The Foundling Hospital in Guildford Street. It was founded in 1742 by Captain Thomas Coram, whose friends included William Hogarth (later a governor of the institution) and Handel (who donated an organ to the chapel and gave performances of the 'Messiah' on it, raising £7,000). Published in Ackermann's famous work, the 'Microcosm of London', the figures were drawn by the famous caricaturist Thomas Rowlandson and the architecture by Augustus Pugin.
Abbey, Scenery: 212.
[Ref: 28856] £160.00