Blackrock Castle.Dedicated by permission to Councillor Hewitt, Vice Chairman of The Cork School of Design by His obedient servants, R. & W. Clarke.
[n.d. c. 1840.]
Lithograph. Printed area 310 x 410mm (12¼ x 16"). Maple framed. Unexamined out of maple frame.
Blackrock Castle, on the River Lee, just outside Cork, painted by Robert Lowe Stopford (1813-1898). Built in Elizabethan times to defend Cork, the castle has burned down twice, the last time in 1827. The scene here shows the castle as it was rebuilt in 1829 by architect George Richard Pain (1793-1838). It is now owned by Cork Corporation, and houses 'Ireland's first fully interactive astronomy centre'.
[Ref: 28647] £260.00