b. The Royal Palace of Versailles, on the side of the Orangerie. The Front of the Royal Palace of Versailles. Versailles was but a little Hunting Seat belonging to the Crown of France when Lewis XII began his Reign, but that Prince fancying its Situationin the year 1661 pull’d down the Old Castle, and at the Expence of a Vast Treasure rebuilt it in such a Splendid manner, that it’s justly became the Admiration of all the World.
[London. Printed & Sold by John Bowles Print & Map Seller at Mercers Hall in Cheapside, 1726.]
Engraving with small margins. Plate 233 x 272mm (9¼ x10¾"). Fold, some staining along lower edge.
The Orangerie; built by Jules Hardouin-Mansart between 1684 and 1686 to replace the small orangery built by Le Vau in 1663, it consists of a central vaulted gallery 150 metres long, prolonged by two side galleries located under the stairways of the Cent-Marches. The building is lit by large windows. The Orangerie Parterre covers no less than three hectares. In the reign of Louis XIV it was decorated with sculptures now kept in the musée du Louvre. Consisting of six sections of lawn and a circular pool, in the summer it features 1,055 trees in boxes, including palm trees, oleanders, pomegranate trees, eugenias and orange trees that spend the winter inside the building. The Palace of Versailles; the site began as Louis XIII’s hunting lodge before his son Louis XIV transformed and expanded it, moving the court and government of France to Versailles in 1682. Each of the three French kings who lived there until the French Revolution added improvements to make it more beautiful. From "Versailles Illustrated, or Divers Views of the Several Parts of the Royal Palace of Versailles; as likewise of all the Fountains, Groves, Parterras, ye Labyrinth & other ye most Beautiful Parts of the Gardens, Wherein are represented whatever is remarkable whether Statues, Groups of Figures, Water Fall, Pleasure Houses, &c. Drawn on the Spot by the Order & with the Approbation of the French King".
[Ref: 28547] £95.00