each. This Place is not only considerable for ye 2 large Basins of Water, but likewise for several Statues, & for 2 fine Vases of white Marble done by Le Fevre & Legeret.
Engraving with small margins, paper watermarked. Plate 222 x 272mm (8¾ x10¾"). Fold.
The large ornamental lake called Cupid's Island or the Royal Island (1674) on which were test scale models of warships. Completely neglected during the Revolutionary years, it was redesigned on the order of Louis XVIII in 1817, when the architect Dufour laid out the King’s Garden, an enclosed garden laid out in the English style, planted with superb tree species most of which, unfortunately, were blown down in the great storm of 1999. All that remains today is the original layout of the Mirror fountain. From "Versailles Illustrated, or Divers Views of the Several Parts of the Royal Palace of Versailles; as likewise of all the Fountains, Groves, Parterras, ye Labyrinth & other ye most Beautiful Parts of the Gardens, Wherein are represented whatever is remarkable whether Statues, Groups of Figures, Water Fall, Pleasure Houses, &c. Drawn on the Spot by the Order & with the Approbation of the French King".
[Ref: 28543] £80.00