joyn’d, on every side the Water flows over several Steps into a Canal that surrounds the Basin & very agreably forms 4 Cascades.
[London. Printed & Sold by John Bowles Print & Map Seller at Mercers Hall in Cheapside, 1726.]
Engraving with small margins, paper watermarked. Plate 222 x 272mm (8¾ x10¾"). Fold.
The Obelisk Grove. The Obelisk fountain was built by Jules Hardouin-Mansart in 1704, to replace the old Festive Room or Council Room, laid out by Le Nôtre in 1671. Decorative features and sculptures in moulded lead were used at the time to adorn the fountains of the garden of the Grand Trianon. From "Versailles Illustrated, or Divers Views of the Several Parts of the Royal Palace of Versailles; as likewise of all the Fountains, Groves, Parterras, ye Labyrinth & other ye most Beautiful Parts of the Gardens, Wherein are represented whatever is remarkable whether Statues, Groups of Figures, Water Fall, Pleasure Houses, &c. Drawn on the Spot by the Order & with the Approbation of the French King".
[Ref: 28537] £80.00