n. The Baths of Apollo. So calld from 3 Groups of white marble, the middle most of which represents Apollo at the Apartment of Thetis attended, by the Nymphs of that Goddess who are platting his hair, washing his feet &c. the other two Groups are Compos'dof Tritons watering the Horses of the Sun; in the Group on the left hand the Carver has represented two Horses, one of which Rears up on end, & a Triton in order to hold him, lifts up his Brawny Arme with great force and spirit this Group is perform’d by Tuby and is Esteem’s a most Excellent piece of Work ye Canopy’s over these 3 Groups are Brass Gilt.
Engraving with small margins. Plate 222 x 272mm (8¾ x10¾"). Fold.
The Grove of Apollo's Baths. This grove, formerly called the Marsh, was laid out during the reign of Louis XIV, between 1670 and 1673, at the request of Mme de Montespan, it is said. In 1704, Jules Hardouin-Mansart designed for this place a new grove intended to host the groups of the Sun Horses and Apollo served by the Nymphs. These groups were sculpted between 1664 and 1672 to adorn the famous Grotto of Tethys, and when the latter was destroyed to build the north wing of the Château, it was transferred to the Grove of the Domes. Hardouin-Mansart then designed this place to highlight these particularly remarkable works. In 1776, one year after the order given by Louis XVI to replant the park, the painter Hubert Robert was commissioned to produce a new layout. The grove which he imagined, completed in 1778, was laid out in the then fashionable style of English-Chinese gardens. This one has survived to our day. From "Versailles Illustrated, or Divers Views of the Several Parts of the Royal Palace of Versailles; as likewise of all the Fountains, Groves, Parterras, ye Labyrinth & other ye most Beautiful Parts of the Gardens, Wherein are represented whatever is remarkable whether Statues, Groups of Figures, Water Fall, Pleasure Houses, &c. Drawn on the Spot by the Order & with the Approbation of the French King".
[Ref: 28535] £80.00