r. The Basin of Girandole. It is a Circular Basin border'd with Turf, and a Spout rising from the Middle twenty Seven feet. The Dauphins Basin. So called from a Statue of the Dauphin whic formerly was in the Middle of the Basin, but is now broke down,this Basin Resembles that of the Girandole, and has likewise a Spout rising twenty seven feet.
Engraving with small margins, paper watermarked. Plate 222 x 272mm (8¾ x10¾"). Fold.
The Girandole Grove, a pendant to the Dauphin’s Grove, replaced old quincunxes in the south planted in the reign of Louis XVI. It has changed very little since it was installed, and is decorated with sculptures on tapering plinths commissioned by the Superintendent of Finance, Nicolas Fouquet, for his château in Vaux-le-Vicomte and executed in Rome based on models by Poussin. The Dauphin ‘s Grove, also known as “The Two Groves” along with the Girandole, is one of the very first designed by André Le Nôtre around 1660. At the end of the 17th century, the sculptor Théodon completed the series of sculptures dedicated to the seasons and mythological gods. From "Versailles Illustrated, or Divers Views of the Several Parts of the Royal Palace of Versailles; as likewise of all the Fountains, Groves, Parterras, ye Labyrinth & other ye most Beautiful Parts of the Gardens, Wherein are represented whatever is remarkable whether Statues, Groups of Figures, Water Fall, Pleasure Houses, &c. Drawn on the Spot by the Order & with the Approbation of the French King".
[Ref: 28531] £60.00