le 11 Messidor An 4.
[Paris: Auber, 1804.]
Etching. Plate 297 x 411mm (11¾ x 16"). Trimmed to plate along lower edge, scuffing to upper image right; foxing to margin areas.
English warships sailing in the vicinity of Livorno stopped at the docks in the years 1792-1796. These ships and their occupants were involved in the English response to the French Revolutionary Wars: Livorno was then used as a supply harbour for the British Mediterranean fleet until the French entered the city during the summer 1796. All English merchant families were forced to flee the town and were able to return only after 1797. Published in the 'Collection complète des tableaux historiques de la révolution française'.
[Ref: 28303] £140.00