View of the Port and Town of Newcastle upon Tyne, from the Rope Walk Gateshead. Dedicated with Permission to the Right Worshipful the Mayor & Corporation of that Ancient Town by Their obliged and Obedient Servant. T. M.Richardson.
Published Feby. 1819 by T. M. Richardson, Newscastle.
Coloured aquatint with washed borders. 670 x 470mm, 26˝ x 18˝". Framed. Unexamined out of frame.
Thomas Miles Richardson, (1784-1848) Having revealed a deep love of drawing he didn't follow this passion until after his fathers death when he accepted a position as Drawing Master at a Newcastle school. In 1813, after six years as both master of St Andrew’s and a private drawing master, he resigned his school position to devote his life to painting. Initially his work attracted little local interest, and he found it difficult to make a living as an artist. However, from 1814, he began to gain a wide reputation as a result of his exhibiting works in London, at the Royal Academy and the British Institution. Richardson continued to live in Newcastle, and so dominated the local art scene. In 1822, his own house in Brunswick Place was used as the venue for the first fine art exhibition to be staged in the North of England. The success of the exhibition led to the foundation of first the Northumberland Institution for the Promotion of Fine Arts, and later the Northern Academy of Arts. In 1831, he also helped to launch the Northern Society of Painters in Water-Colours. A leading exhibiting member of these organisations, he made a particularly notable contribution to the Northern Academy in 1830 with four large paintings. Moot Hall, the Castle Keep, the neo-Gothic spire of St. Nicholas' church ar all visible in this view. Gateshead was a prosperous settlement in the Roman Times, and during the Industrial Revolution and Victorian Era it became one of the focal points for industries in the North East due to its easily accessible port.
[Ref: 28107] £650.00