Partis' College, Near Bath,An Institution for the Residence and Support of Thirty Gentlewomen in reduced Circumstances Founded and Endowed by Mrs Ann Partis of Bath in the Year 1824. Sam.l Flood Page, & Philip Flood Page, Architects, Gower Street London.
Lithograph with large margins, rare. Printed area 195 x 385mm, 7¾ x 15¼". Vertical crease at centre, repaired tear in margin, wear to edges.
On his retirement in 1820 as a lawyer and conveyancer, Fletcher Partis and his wife Ann planned to open a home for distressed gentlewomen. Only six weeks after buying a property Fletcher died, leaving Ann to become Founder and Benefactor of the college in 1825. It consists of thirty terraced houses set around three sides of a quadrangle, with a chapel in the centre of the middle block, redesigned by Gilbert Scott in 1862. It continues its work today.
[Ref: 27775] £220.00